2019/2020 VOLUNTEER COACH JOB DESCRIPTION
TITLE: SOCCER COACH
REPORTS TO: Director of Coaching
COMPENSATION: Volunteer position with training provided
Portland Community Football Club is a non-profit club that offers high quality, affordable soccer to low-income, immigrant and refugee youth ages 3-18 in Portland. We strive to reduce the barriers that prevent low-income, underserved youth from accessing quality play, equipment and coaching. We are also the first youth soccer club in Portland to have an open acceptance policy of LGBTQ players, families and staff and an open Queer, Transgender Founder/Director of Coaching.
The coach will create and implement one or two 60-minute fun, organized trainings per week for a team of 12-15 players. The coach is responsible for preparing their team for one game/week. This coaching position will be shared with a co-coach and receive ample support from the Director of Coaching. If you know the basics about soccer, love to work with kids and love soccer we can train you to coach! Average hours per week: 6-8 hours.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
● Create a positive and encouraging environment for all players
● Design fun, skill appropriate training sessions which players can relate to the game (see additional information section below on training offered)
● Provide structure and organization to each training
● Oversee and manage multiple players at one time
● Frequent, consistent and clear communication with players and parents
● Provide guidance and instruction from the sidelines at all games
● Provide general guidance on nutrition and healthy choices for all players
● Manage and problem solve individual needs and team conflict with professionalism
● Preferred minimum of one season of soccer coaching experience
● A commitment to attend at least 75% of practices and games (co-coaches work together to manage the practice and game schedule)
● A commitment to coach a minimum of two consecutive seasons
● Clear, direct and effective communication skills
● The ability to adapt to individual player needs and team needs
● A good sense of humor and the ability to learn from your mistakes
Each coach will be required to complete the Foundations of Coaching through United Soccer Coaches within the first year of being hired. This is a $10 online course. Additional coaching education will be available in-person throughout the year.